Do you know how much water you are wasting in your home?
- About 95% of clean drinkable water entering our home goes down the drain.
- Running the tap while brushing your teeth can waste four gallons of water.
- Americans now use 127% more water than we did in 1950.
- Older water closets can use three gallons of clean water with every flush, while new water closets use as little as one gallon.
- Leaky faucets that drip at the rate of one drop per second can waste up to 2,700 gallons of water each year.
- Water efficient dishwashers will use as little as four gallons of water per wash cycle, while some older models use up to thirteen gallons per wash cycle.
- A spigot or sprinkler system can use almost as much as an average family of four uses in one day.
- Experts estimate that more than fifty percent of landscape water use goes to waste due to evaporation or runoff caused by over watering.
Ways to cut back on wasted water
- Get all dripping fixtures fixed
- Install new energy efficient fixtures
- Turn water off while brushing teeth
- Install new energy efficient appliances
- Turn spigot off when not in use
- Check for leaks regularly