Wasted Water and Your Plumbing System
In this blog post, we’ll go over wasted water and how it relates to your home’s plumbing system. If you’re looking for affordable plumbing solutions in Nashville, call our team at Plumbing Solutions today.
Do you know how much water you are wasting in your home?
- About 95% of clean drinkable water entering our home goes down the drain.
- Running the tap while brushing your teeth can waste four gallons of water.
- Americans now use 127% more water than we did in 1950.
- Older water closets can use three gallons of clean water with every flush, while new water closets use as little as one gallon.
- Leaky faucets that drip at the rate of one drop per second can waste up to 2,700 gallons of water each year.
- Water efficient dishwashers will use as little as four gallons of water per wash cycle, while some older models use up to thirteen gallons per wash cycle.
- A spigot or sprinkler system can use almost as much as an average family of four uses in one day.
- Experts estimate that more than fifty percent of landscape water use goes to waste due to evaporation or runoff caused by overwatering.
Ways to cut back on wasted water
- Get all dripping fixtures fixed.
- Install new energy efficient fixtures.
- Turn water off while brushing teeth.
- Install new energy efficient appliances.
- Turn spigot off when not in use.
- Check for leaks regularly.
Our water is precious — let us all do our part to stop wasted water. If you have any questions or require an affordable plumbing service that will help you cut back on your water usage, call us today.