Is Your Toilet Wasting Water? Do the Dye Test!
Leaking toilets are the biggest culprit when it comes to wasting water. Silent leaks (leaks you normally cannot hear) will waste upwards of 30-500 gallons of water every day. The scary part is your toilet can be leaking without showing any signs of a leak. Which means you could be wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on how long your leak remains undetected.
- Start with a clean water tank and toilet bowl. The water should be completely clear, and all cleaning products or tablets should be removed.
- Add food color, kool-aid, or dye from dye test kit into the tank on the back of the toilet.
- Make sure the toilet is not used or flushed for 15-30 minutes.
- In 15-30 minutes check your toilet, if the water in the toilet bowl has changed colors you have a silent leak.
- Once you have discovered you have a silent toilet leak you should contact Plumbing Solutions at (615)887-1501 to have your silent leak fixed.
Signs Of A Toilet Leak
- Unexplainable flushing: It might seem like you have a ghost because your toilet fills itself or flushes when no one is in the bathroom.
- Jiggling the handle is the only way to get the water to shut off after flushing.
- When trying to flush, you have to hold the handle down to empty the toilet bowl. This could also be a sign the chain for your flapper is too long.
- If you see water dripping down the sides of the toilet bowl long after its been flushed.
- Sounds coming from a toilet that is not being used are signs of a leak.
These are all common signs of a leaky toilet. You’ll save time and money even if you don’t have any signs your toilet is leaking, just do the dye test.